Creating a New Map
1. Open Safari and go to https://www.google.com/mymaps/
2. You may be prompted to log into Google. Enter your wps39 email and password to login.
3. Tap on the red "+" to create a new map.
RENAMING YOUR MAP AND LAYERS
1. Tap on the LEGEND button to to reveal the side-bar menu on the left.
2. Rename the map as your first name, last initial, and period number (Ex. Sami S., Period 2). Tap on "Untitled Map" until a pop-up menu appears allowing you to rename the map. Hit save.
3. Rename the the Untitled layer as "Lugares" by tapping on the three dots next to that title. Select "Rename this layer". A pop-up menu will appear allowing you to rename the layer. Hit save.
SEARCHING FOR PLACES AND ADDING THEM TO THE MAP
1. You can find things on this map the same way you would on a normal Google Map. You can type a specific location or city into the search box. If you type in a restaurant or store, you may want to specify the city. (Ex. "Starbucks Wilmette" instead of just "Starbucks".) You can also zoom in to search a particular area for stores, restaurants, banks, libraries, etc.
2. Tap on the location you wish to add to the map. When the pop-up appears, tap on "+ Add to map". The pop-up will remain, but more options will appear on the screen. Click "Remove" to remove the map details like the address, phone number, and reviews.
ADDING TEXT, PHOTOS, COLOR, AND ICONS (AND HOW TO DELETE LOCATIONS)
1. Click on the pencil icon to add text. Copy the text from your Notability document and paste it into the box below the location title.
2. Add a picture by tapping on the camera icon. You can do a "Google Image Search" to find a image that relates to your location. Tap on the picture you wish to use and then tap "Select"
3. Change the color or type of icon by click on the paint bucket. Select a new color, or icon shape. You can find relevant icons shapes by choosing "More icons."
4. Delete a location you no longer need by click on the garbage can. Warning: once you click this icon, the location and all the information associated with it will be deleted and cannot be retrieved.
SHARING YOUR MAP TO SCHOOLOGY
1. Before you share the link with your teacher, you must first change the share settings on the map. On the side-bar menu (access by tapping on LEGEND), tap on the "Share" icon.
2. Tap "Change" in the Sharing settings. Select the option for "On - Anyone with the link" and "Can view," then hit "Save"
3. Select the entire URL. Copy the link. This will temporarily copy the URL (website link) for your Google Map to the clipboard.
4. Open Schoology and find the discussion, assignment, or comment where you would like to paste the link. Hold your finger down on the screen until the "Paste" option appears. Select paste. The URL for your Google Map should appear in the box.
HMS Tech - 2016